2 September 2019
HK$68,000 per annum
This course aims to provide the relevant professional training and knowledge needed to prepare the Student Dental Hygienists for a career in dental hygiene. Upon successful completion, students are qualified to serve as members of a dental team, and are capable of controlling and preventing periodontal diseases and dental caries.
The course is on a two-year full-time basis and its teaching activities will be conducted throughout the calendar years, including the summer period. It consists of two essential components: Generic Skills subjects (24 credits) and Dental Hygiene specialism (42 credits).
Generic Skills subjects include Mathematics and Statistics for Daily Life Applications, Information Technology Fundamentals, Introduction to Academic English, English for Academic Purposes I, English for Healthcare Professionals, Practical Chinese, and Intra- and Interpersonal Competencies.
(1) HKDSEE Level 2 or above in five (5) subjects* including Chinese Language, English Language and Biology or Level 3 or above in Combined Science (Biology), or equivalent; or
(2) HKCEE Grade E/ Level 2 or above in five (5) subjects Note 1 including Chinese Language, English Language^ and Biology/Human Biology, or equivalent; And
Pass in one (1) Advanced Level subject or two (2) Advanced Supplementary subjects in the HKALE, or equivalent; or
(3) Recognised Pre-Associate Degree/ Certificate in General Studies/ Diploma in Foundation Studies or other equivalent Foundation Programme qualifications; or
(4) Special consideration may be given to applicants with only five (5) subjects attaining Level 2/ Grade E or above in the HKDSEE/ HKCEE with work experience in dental clinics and/or are holders of a Certificate/ Diploma in Dental Surgery Assisting or have an equivalent qualification; or
(5) Aged 21 or above at the start of the commencing academic year and have relevant work experience;
AND be proficient in both Cantonese and English (spoken and written).
*Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
– “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3 in the HKDSE Examination, and
– “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2 in the HKDSE Examination.
^For English Language (Syllabus A) in pre-2007 HKCEE, only Grade C or above will be considered.
HK$68,000 per annum (by two equal instalments)
(Tuition fees are subject to annual revision; and non-refundable unless the course is cancelled.)
This programme is jointly organised with HKU SPACE Community College, and with the support of the Faculty of Dentistry, the University of Hong Kong.
HKU SPACE Community College: 3416 6338
Tutor in Dental Hygiene, HKU: 2859 0299