September 2022 (Tentative)
HK$70,000 per annum
Higher Diploma in Dental Hygiene
In the academic year 2022/23, eligible local students will be enrolled to this 2-year course, leading to the award of Higher Diploma in Dental Hygiene. For application details, please refer to HKU SPACE’s website (www.hkuspace.hku.hk/cc).
This course aims to provide the relevant professional training and knowledge needed to prepare the Student Dental Hygienists for a career in dental hygiene. Upon successful completion of the course, graduates are eligible to apply to the Dental Council of Hong Kong for enrolment as “Dental Hygienists” and are qualified to practise dental hygiene in Hong Kong.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
ILO1. Communicate ideas in a manner appropriate to the circumstance using English and Chinese languages (oral and written) in social and academic contexts;
ILO2. Use information technology and quantitative/numerical skills to manage information and solve daily life problems;
ILO3. Perform comprehensive oral hygiene care for a variety of patients;
ILO4. Apply knowledge learnt to help patient control and prevent periodontal disease and dental care;
ILO5. Promote dental health education.
Teaching activities of this 2-year full-time course will be conducted throughout the calendar years, including the summer period. It consists of two essential components: Generic Skills subjects (24 credits) and Dental Hygiene specialism (42 credits).
Generic Skills subjects include Fundamentals of the Human Body, Quantitative Analysis I, Information Technology Fundamentals, Introduction to Academic English, English for Academic Purpose I, English for Healthcare Professionals, Practical Chinese, and Intra- and Inter-personal Competencies.
(1) HKDSEE Level 2 or above in five (5) subjects * including Chinese Language, English Language and Biology or Level 3 or above in Combined Science (Biology), or equivalent; or
(2) HKCEE Grade E/ Level 2 or above in five (5) subjects * including Chinese Language, English Language^ and Biology/Human Biology, or equivalent; And
Pass in one (1) Advanced Level subject or two (2) Advanced Supplementary subjects in the HKALE, or equivalent; or
(3) Recognised Pre-Associate Degree/ Certificate in General Studies/ Diploma in Foundation Studies or other equivalent Foundation Programme qualifications; or
(4) Special consideration may be given to applicants with only five (5) subjects attaining Level 2/ Grade E or above in the HKDSEE/ HKCEE with work experience in dental clinics and/or are holders of a Certificate/ Diploma in Dental Surgery Assisting or have an equivalent qualification; or
(5) Aged 21 or above at the start of the commencing academic year and have relevant work experience;
AND be proficient in both Cantonese and English (spoken and written).
*Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows:
– “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3 in the HKDSE Examination, and
– “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2 in the HKDSE Examination.
^For English Language (Syllabus A) in pre-2007 HKCEE, only Grade C or above will be considered.
Important note: As the Hospital is implementing the Vaccine Pass, all applicants and students must receive the required dosage of the COVID-19 vaccine according to the latest vaccination requirement of the Vaccine Pass announced by the government, for attending admission interview and training at the Hospital premises (except those being exempted).
HK$70,000 per annum (by two equal instalments)
Tuition fees are subject to annual revision; and non-refundable unless the course is cancelled.
This programme is jointly organised with HKU SPACE.
HKU SPACE Community College: 3416 6338