The Prince Philip Dental Hospital (“the Hospital”) is now recruiting teaching patients for “Dental Hygiene Therapy” for the designated purpose of teaching students pursuing Higher Diploma course in Dental Hygiene offered by the Hospital and HKU SPACE. The Hospital is the only teaching institute in Hong Kong that provides dental hygienist training. The course aims are to enable students to perform comprehensive oral hygiene care for a variety of patients, apply knowledge learnt to help patient control and prevent periodontal disease, provide maintenance, and promote dental health education.
- Members of the public are invited to receive initial examination in the Hospital throughout the year. Those who have received and completed dental treatment (including implant treatment) in the Hospital or outside are also eligible for screening.
- Patients will need to go through a screening process delivered by the Hospital or the staff of Faculty of Dentistry of The University of Hong Kong to assess their suitability for the designated purpose of Student Dental Hygienists training. If patients are under age 18, they must be accompanied by their parent/guardian for initial examination. If the patients’ dental problems are suitable for the designated teaching purpose, they will be given scheduled appointments in due course. If not, treatment will not be guaranteed but the patients will be advised of their dental problems and to seek further dental or medical attention or treatment elsewhere.
- Queue cards are issued for morning and afternoon sessions from 08:15 hrs to 15:30 hrs at the Information Counter on the First Floor, with lunch break from 12:30 hrs to 13:30 hrs. No queue cards will be issued once the quota is full. For details, please refer to our “Notice to Members of Public Who Intend to Seek Dental Treatment from the Hospital” (http://www.ppdh.org.hk/en/teaching.html). Individuals who have been invited for initial examination through separate outreach screenings are kindly requested to wait for further notice and they do not need to come for getting queue cards.
Treatments/Services that could be provided
(Depending on individuals’ oral condition, patients will not be provided treatment on the same date of initial examination. In line with training requirements, a full course of treatment will usually require several visits.)
- Oral hygiene instruction
- Dental hygiene service (including scaling)
- Simple preventive treatment
(please refer to Schedule of Fees for Teaching Patients on the Hospital’s website for the latest fees)
- Initial Examination Attendance Fee: $50
- Dental Hygiene Therapy Fee (whole course of treatment): $100
25 April 2023